Although the feeding bite of the louse is painless, its saliva can cause an allergic reaction in many people. There can be red marks and itching at the site of the bite. Infestations may cause itching within 24/48 hours. Half of our customers with lice show no systems and never itch. Intense itching at the site of the bite compels a person to scratch, often breaking the skin. Our All Natural and Safe HeadLice911 Elimination Solution application not only suffocates the lice but it is also very soothing to the irritated scalp.
Lice Facts 101
The head louse is a tiny, wingless parasitic insect that lives among human hairs and feeds on tiny amounts of blood drawn from the scalp. While they are frustrating to deal with, lice aren’t dangerous. They don’t spread disease, although their bites can make a child’s scalp itchy and irritated, and scratching can lead to infection.
Lice eggs (called nits). These look like tiny yellow, tan, or brown dots before they hatch. Lice lay nits on hair shafts close to the scalp, where the temperature is perfect for keeping warm until they hatch. Nits look sort of like dandruff, only they can’t be removed by brushing or shaking them off.
Unless the infestation is heavy, it’s more common to see nits in a child’s hair than it is to see live lice crawling on the scalp. Lice eggs hatch within 1 to 2 weeks after they are laid. After hatching, the remaining shell looks white or clear and stays firmly attached to the hair shaft. This is when it’s easiest to spot them, as the hair is growing longer and the eggshell is moving away from the scalp.
Head lice are resistant to water and soap. Having head lice is not a question of hygiene. They can infect anyone, whatever their background or personal hygiene. Lice do not jump or fly, they just crawl. Lice have 6 legs with claws at the end designed to cling to the hair shaft. Lice can only live on your head, nowhere else; not even in facial hair. Lice cannot live on pets. Lice do not burrow and they must be on a human head in order to survive. Nits are harmless(not viable) once they are removed from the head. Lice infestation is now second only to the common cold when it comes to conditions that affect elementary-school students in North America. The U.S. has 6 million to 12 million cases a year. Lice have become very common in the middle school/college age group in the past decade due to selfies and playing games or watching movies on small electronic devices.
How Do I Clean My Home Or Classroom?
Despite what you may have heard or done in the past, cleaning your home or classroom need not be very difficult. Studies have shown that there is less than 2 percent chance of anyone getting lice from their environment. This is because lice cannot live more than approximately 24/48 hours off the head.
Remove bed linens, towels and pajamas, and place in the dryer at a hot temperature for 30 minutes. DO NOT PUT IN THE WASHER UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE DRYER
Lightly vacuum couches, carpets, and car seats and then go over them with a lint roller
Remove comforters or bedspreads from beds and throw into the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat. DO NOT PUT IN THE WASHER UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE DRYER
If your child sleeps with a stuffed animal or blanket, place it in a hot dryer for 30 minutes.
Clean combs, brushes, and hair ties by placing in boiling water, or put in the freezer for 24 hours.